Friday, August 27, 2010

MCA is gunna get good

Paul Klein interviews Michael Darling, the new Head Curator at Chicago's Museum of Contemporary Art, in the Huffington post:


Paul Klein: Here's another seemingly easy question: What is good art?

Michael Darling: I'm a really visual person. I can go in for things that are purely intellectually stimulating on the one hand, but, I think that oftentimes that does alienate the public, and my job is to get people excited about contemporary art. So I think it's got to have some real visual appeal and pizzazz. It's got to know what tradition it's coming out of and how it's contributing to that tradition, pushing it forward. That's something I really look for when I'm doing studio visits - to get a sense if people really know what they're doing. If they're picking up a paintbrush and slathering paint on a canvas, do they know why they're using canvas? Do they know why they're using red paint? Why they're using that size of brush? There's a level of awareness that's required, and I don't really give people much slack about that. I think they really need to know what the heck they're doing.


Read the full interview here

0 comments:

Post a Comment